There’s so much more to powerful web design and optimization than simply an aesthetically attractive site. When it comes to a website, most business owners are focused on one main factor- the conversion rate of viewers into customers.
Professional website optimization is a powerful tool that can streamline your customers’ experience, improve your client acquisition rate, and drastically improve your overall ROI.
But how is that so often, sites that are quite similar to the novice-eye are yielding such drastically different results in terms of conversion? It seems that some websites don’t perform well, while others make a few tweaks and become envy-worthy client-acquiring machines.
Want to know what the pros are doing differently to create web designs that convert?
Here are 6 factors that contribute to creating a winning, high-conversion site:
- A Strong First Impression. Like when meeting someone in person, you only have a few brief seconds before someone formulates their judgment and decides to either leave the site or continue browsing. You have less time to make a strong first impression online, as the average person makes their judgment about a website in under 5 seconds, whereas, in person, you typically have 7 seconds for your first impression to be solidified. Ensuring that your site looks polished and professional is a make or break-it situation for when formulating the perfect way to create a stellar first impression, be sure to pay attention to the headline, sub-headers, and images that a person is most likely to see during a quick scroll to check out your page. It’s often these attention-getters that initially get your audience to slow down and make the split-second decision to stay on your page and ideally go through your guided experience.
- A Clear, Enticing Header. Testing out various headers can be a great way to decide on the most powerful word formulation to use for your particular site and audience. As a general rule of thumb, you want your header to be clear, concise, and enticing. For example, instead of saying “Sign up for 1 Month of Services”, say something more like “Click Here for Your 30-Day Free Trial”. The header offering a free trial gives a clear upfront value to the potential customer, which builds trust, and entices them to click for further information. A clear and enticing header is often also used to create a bold, on-brand statement about the company and the kind of work offered. Take one of ours, for example, “Get found and be heard” -something that just about every business owner is seeking to achieve or improve upon!
- Have a Center-Stage, “What, Who, and How.” After creating a stellar first impression, you should also ensure that your site has a crystal-clear and incredibly concise overview of what you do, who you serve, and how you do it. If this takes more than two sentences or 10 seconds to figure out, it’s not clear enough. Having those three key components outlined in a clear and forward manner will help your target audience to self-qualify and internally say things like, “ok, cool, looks like this company/product/service is for me and offers what I need.”
- Professional Design and Easy Navigation. Not only does your website need to look good, but it needs to function well. Web optimization done by a professional should consider the experience that your audience will have upon landing on your page and create the absolute most streamlined and guided experience possible. This sort of optimization creates ease for your potential client. It includes insightful details such as button placement and color, text and image positioning, page progression, and other design aspects that will increase your ROI by increasing conversion rates.
- Overcome Purchasing Obstacles Early and Proactively. If you know your target audience well enough, you’ll be able to understand and anticipate their initial blocks towards transitioning from viewer to customer. A prime example of this is proflowers.com. They anticipated some of the concerns for their shoppers and inserted a header that dissolves them immediately by offering buttons that say things like “Click here for same-day delivery” and “Need it by tomorrow? Click here!”.With just a well-placed and strategically planned button or two, you can increase your conversion rate tremendously by removing an initial obstacle from the path between your potential customer and their purchase.
- Instill Confidence With Testimonials. Be sure to have testimonials and reviews positioned in a way that a potential client will see them before the final step in your buyer’s experience. This will instill trust and confidence, therefore removing another potential obstacle for your customer.