How Much Does Blogging Help For Seo?
Blogs are becoming increasingly commonplace in our modern, online landscape; in fact, most types of websites, from retail to commercial contractors, have been incorporating blogs to the layout of their website. From the simple mom-and-pop shop to large-scale industry giants, everyone and their web developer are adding blog sections to their header. Moreover, blogs have become so ubiquitous that whole industries have cropped up online catered to providing SEO-driven, written content for websites. These independent blog services provide content on any subject, usually by amateur writers or, more recently, AI, to any company that lacks an in-house writing team or wishes to bolster its blog.
This rapidly growing practice exists because blogs are valuable for building your website’s SEO. Blogs are uniquely beneficial because they provide a steady content stream that allows you to produce a large amount of SEO driven web pages, all of which can rank on search engines. However, many websites resist adding a blog as they demand consistent upkeep, space, management, and, of course, writers. This begs the question if blogs are worth the investment for SEO growth, or more to the point, how much does blogging help SEO in our modern online marketing landscape?
Do All Websites Need a Blog and How Much Does a Blog Really Help for SEO?
The simple answer is no; no website requires a blog, except for websites designed exclusively around them. However, most websites do benefit from having a blog. Function-wise, blogs are simply a steady stream of entertaining or informative content; this content can either be short or long form and is expected to be constantly updated. This setup is an excellent tool for any website looking to grow its SEO or actively market itself online. As for how much a blog helps for your website’s SEO, it should be seen as an investment like any SEO campaign; a blog will allow you to index more pages, and potentially get your content and website seen by more users. However, this is contingent upon the continuous release of content and proper SEO implementation on the blog.
Why Do Blogs Help SEO?
Blogs help your website in a number of ways, but the main draw is their ability to produce high-quality content in large quantities. This allows you to fill your website with SEO-dense pages that can all rank on Google and have the potential to contribute to your website’s overall domain authority.
Blogs also have other benefits besides base SEO growth. For example, each blog article can act as a valuable marketing tool that naturally draws more users toward your primary product or service. Blogs do this by pulling in organic traffic by supplying entertaining, informative, and relevant content that your users will be naturally interested in; then, through a CTA (Call To Action), each blog article can funnel users to your services or contact page. This process creates large amounts of pages that contribute to a higher conversion rate for your site.
How Do I Optimize My Blog For SEO?
Blogs will only be helpful for your website’s SEO in a meaningful way if adequately optimized and designed with SEO in mind. The process of optimizing the content, layout, and code of a blog for search engines is called, as you may have guessed, Blog SEO. Blog SEO has a great deal in common with standard SEO practices but has specific practices that stand apart; let’s look at some standard techniques for good Blog SEO.
- Identify Your Audience: Identifying the target audience for your main product and then catering your content towards that audience is a vital first step in designing an effective SEO-focused blog. Each blog article should be geared towards creating content that your audience will be naturally interested in or inform your audience about your product in a meaningful way. For example, if you sell pet products like dog food, you should create articles such as “Top Smartest Dog Breeds” or “Top 10 Organic Dog Food Brands.”
- Find Effective Keywords: Finding effective keywords for blogs is slightly more complex than standard keyword research; this is because you need to find keywords that will function for both your individual blog article, but also your site as a whole. This is because Google considers the relevance of keywords to the respective page and the site’s overall content. So when conducting keyword research, you should begin by choosing root keywords for your main product or service, then branch them out into more specific long-tail keywords that could be applied to blog articles. Use these long tail keywords as a starting point for your articles, then adapt them to fit user intent and interest.
- Utilize an Effective Layout and Incorporate Keywords: Once you have your keyword, it is essential to incorporate it into a good layout for your blog. First, you should consider the kind of article you’re writing; popular types of blog articles are top ten lists, how-to guides, opinion pieces, or news articles. Once you select a blog type, research a good layout and format. Then incorporate your keyword into your Title (H1), Headings (H2s and H3s), at least once in your opening paragraph, and multiple times throughout your body of text.
- Incorporate Media: Google likes blog content with varying types of media present; stock images, videos, infographics, and surveys are all kinds of media that can boost your article’s rankings with Google. These kinds of media also help capture your audience’s attention and improve the readability and retention of your article.
- Internal Links and CTA: The final major step for an excellent SEO-driven blog is internally linking to other pages on your site. When internally linking, you want to direct your readers to your primary content funnel; these are pages that direct readers to the most content on your site, such as a Home Page or Services Page.
Maintaining a functioning blog combined with an SEO campaign and running a business is a daunting challenge; we at Fluidrank are SEO and eCommerce specialists who can run a successful and comprehensive SEO campaign and an SEO-driven blog for your company. If you are interested in our services, you can view them here, or if you want to read articles on other SEO subjects, you can view our blog here.